Mechanic recommendation

Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Pershing

Mechanic recommendation

Post by Alan Pershing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 am

Hi, I'm new to 356 ownership and new to this forum, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a 1961 356B Cabriolet with a rebuilt engine; I don't think this engine is running as it should. It backfires and seems extremely sluggish in 1st gear. I've taken it to two independent shops that specialize in older Porsches; they don't think there's anything wrong and attribute it to the fact that the engine is carbureted. I have a BMW 3.0CS that also has carburetors (Webers) and it doesn't run like this at all. When sitting, the Porsche engine revs like no tomorrow but as soon as it's under load being driven, it coughs, sputters and backfires, especially in first gear. It gets better as you go up the gears.

If anyone can recommend an honest shop or individual who's extremely knowledgeable and can take a look at this, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Ed Lawrence

Re: Mechanic recommendation

Post by Ed Lawrence » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Alan,

I'd recommend Ray Morgan at Vintage Motorcar Restorations in Jasper, GA. Ray went through my 1959 A Sunroof coupe and did a complete interior restoration. Ray is also a member of our 356 SOG club.
Keeping the 356 Faith!

Alan Pershing

Post by Alan Pershing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks, Ed. I'll give Ray a call and hopefully he can help get this sorted out.

Wilbur Strickland

Post by Wilbur Strickland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Alan,

Just now saw your message, so might be too late. Would suggest that you contact Jack Lewis in Norcross at 770-849-0302.